Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Javanese Beef Soup


I miss home. I miss being daddy's little girl and spending time with mom in her kitchen. In a situation like this, I try to make dishes that will bring me the warm feeling of home. I remember mom loves to cook javanese beef soup or rawon soup for me. I decide to make the soup with instant rawon spice (I am so glad and thankful people invented instant spices) :D

The soup turns out hearty and flavourful, but lacks a certain something. I believe the missing something is mom's unlimited love and passion: the main ingredient that she always uses to bake and cook for her family. Thank you dad and mom, for giving me beautiful childhood memories and most importantly, the love and passion for baking :)

Javanese Beef Soup or Rawon Soup

Ingredients:
250 gr beef, diced
250 gr chayote, peeled and diced
1/2 spring onion, cut into 5 cm lengths
1 package instant rawon spice
water

fried shallots
bean sprouts
shrimp crackers

Method:
1) Stir-fry instant rawon spice in a pressure cooker until fragrant.
2) Add beef and water. Cook for 30 minutes.
3) Add chayote and spring onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
4) Sprinkle with fried shallots. Serve warm with bean sprouts and shrimp crackers.

No comments: